Thursday, November 7, 2013

O Happy Day!

Just a quick note tonight. I'm exhausted, wine has been poured, Tania's on the way over -- we're looking at a pretty small blogging window. That being said, I must point out the massively good thing about today.

Had an appointment with a new MD... and she was awesome. As in: patient, intelligent, seemingly happy to walk you through your results, listens to your questions and explores the answer with you. And nice! She was nice! Not to complain, but it's been a while since I've felt comfort or kindness from a health professional. Honestly, I might just send her a thank-you card. OK I'll quit gushing now.

While the experience in itself was pleasant, the larger lesson continues to resonate. Listening, paying attention, being kind -- these things deeply matter when you engage with others. You are invested in the other. The way I see it, doing that makes you a stronger person, just as it makes the people around you feel valued. Something to keep in mind, especially on those tired/frustrated/blah days when you really only want to phone in your relationships. Don't. Don't, and you'll be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment